• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anyone to blame ?

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-January-02, 12:46

IMPS, NS red. Anyone to blame ? If so who ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   ceeb 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-January-02, 14:00

West should have anticipated the positional power of his aces over the opening bidder, which makes slam nearly certain.

#3 User is offline   jschafer 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Origami, squash, table tennis, travelling

Posted 2011-January-02, 14:11

I think East could redouble instead of bidding 3NT. It may or may not get you to slam but I think it certainly makes it easier for West to evaluate that possibility (especially if he is counting on a certain loser).

#4 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-January-02, 14:12

No blame. Seems normal to me. I wouldn't dream of slam, although it's a good one.

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-02, 15:44

I agree with jschafer, thx to the double, east can redouble to show A and west knows that suit contracts are good.

#6 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-02, 15:53

Slam is not that great since there is room for North to have a minor suit queen. Any auction that reaches slam on these cards will probably also reach it when you don't have those tens that make it decent. But I would not sit for 3NT with West when partner cannot bid it directly over 3. Probably I would end in five of a minor.

#7 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-02, 16:07

View Postceeb, on 2011-January-02, 14:00, said:

West should have anticipated the positional power of his aces over the opening bidder, which makes slam nearly certain.

You mean: "... which makes the slam depend on two out of three finesses (that are supposed to work on the bidding), if East holds the A, JT and KTxx."

Given that I would have bid exactly the same as East with e.g. Axx Jxxx 9xx xxx, I don't see any reason to blame West.

I don't see any reason to blame East either. For me XX shows that you want West to declare 3NT.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-02, 16:16

View PostTrinidad, on 2011-January-02, 16:07, said:

For me XX shows that you want West to declare 3NT.

Rik

Thats why i bid 3 NT, i thought if pd has Qxx it wouldn't matter, but what if he has Qx or Jxx ? To be honest i didn't think of slam at that point, i was trying to figure which contract and from which side would be safest for us. If he has a really huge hand, i thought i did my job by 3 first instead of direct 3 NT, as someone mentioned above.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-02, 16:17

It seems wrong that west accepts to play 3NT with a singleton spade and a suit oriented hand but no particularly good source of tricks in clubs. Without a double EW would have been past 3NT, so east shouldn't have a model hand for 3NT.

XX would not show A as I play it (it would ask for a stopper, since west could pass and then bid 3NT when in doubt).
Michael Askgaard

#10 User is offline   the_dude 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-02, 18:09

Am I way off base here? I would have bid 2S instead of 3C as west... Not giving up on the 5-3 Heart fit and showing a big 2344 or 1345/1354... Or is there some other modern agreement for 2S that I have missed?

Of course I don't know what to do as East in response .. now his hand is gigantic given his earlier lack of jump .. seems like he would bid 3D but that doesn't do it justice. He'd be alot less wont to bid 3NT tho opposite known spade shortness.
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it then how bad a decision could it really be?

#11 User is offline   ceeb 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-02, 19:11

View PostTrinidad, on 2011-January-02, 16:07, said:

You mean: "... which makes the slam depend on two out of three finesses (that are supposed to work on the bidding), if East holds the A, JT and KTxx."
By "which makes slam nearly certain" I do mean the same as "which makes the slam depend on two out of three finesses (that are supposed to work on the bidding)" (though 6, if you can find it, may be a shade better yet). To say that slam being good is conditional upon East having some useful cards is true enough and goes without saying but is not what I meant. By bringing up the positional value of West's aces I meant that slam is very good compared to what it would be based on the same E-W cards but no knowledge of the opening bid.

My first instinct was that while West is more than minimum for double-then-3, I wasn't going to put any blame. But on reconsideration of the potential in West's aces I decided West is a lot more than minimum and since East has given the partnership an opening to go further West should take it. Slam may still not be reached.

Given that I would have bid exactly the same as East with e.g. Axx Jxxx 9xx xxx ...
I would not. I would pass 3 with that, and at most consider a non-forcing 4 or taking a flyer with 3NT. Getting involved with a cue bid seems outrageous.

#12 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-03, 03:48

View Postceeb, on 2011-January-02, 19:11, said:

My first instinct was that while West is more than minimum for double-then-3, I wasn't going to put any blame. But on reconsideration of the potential in West's aces I decided West is a lot more than minimum and since East has given the partnership an opening to go further West should take it. Slam may still not be reached.

What would a minimum for double-then-3 look like?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#13 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-03, 04:28

The slam is hard to bid.
However, I would not stay in 3NT with the West hand when East did not bid notrump directly. The double of 3 was stupid and served no purpose for North-South.

In a well oiled partnership, East might rebid 3, which should be forcing for one round, instead of 3.
The bidding might go

(1)
DBL-2
3--3
3--3
4--4

West has given a good description of his hand and over 4 East can see that all his values are working and makes a slam try with 4.
West of course accepts.

Rainer Herrmann

#14 User is offline   gszeszycki 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-05, 20:31

it is very difficult for E to imagine slam after the paltry 3c bid by their p. A much
better start is 2s. There is no reason to hurry and show 5 card suit (even thought its nice) when your hand is so much better than normal because of the opening bid on your right. keep bidding low and go slow when you are very powerful. I know 2s is only 2 pips below 3c but reverse your minors and the advantage of 2s becomes even clearer.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users