• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Washington, we have a problem!

#1 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-November-28, 14:27

And the problem is named Wikileaks once again. The site is still offline ( cyber war? ) but the main european magazines have just published first secret cables sent by US diplomats with a lot of derisive remarks about the officials from the allied countries f. ex. This could be a real diplomatic desaster for the US administration under the title "How our american friends do really think about us";-)
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#2 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2010-November-28, 14:43

It is estimated that thousands will die as a result of these disclosures, most from apoplexy.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2010-November-28, 15:18

View PostAberlour10, on 2010-November-28, 14:27, said:

And the problem is named Wikileaks once again. The site is still offline ( cyber war? ) but the main european magazines have just published first secret cables sent by US diplomats with a lot of derisive remarks about the officials from the allied countries f. ex. This could be a real diplomatic desaster for the US administration under the title "How our american friends do really think about us";-)

Yawn...

NPR covered the release of a bunch of British diplomatic documents that referred to allies and adversaries in less than flattering terms. I'm not gonna get too worked up from this.
Alderaan delenda est

#4 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-28, 15:27

Until your post, I had not heard of this. Apparently it will be a disaster. I googled a bit and got to a recent (within the last hour) LA Times article:
http://www.latimes.c...0,4635772.story

An excerpt:

The cables provide reports of Arab nations, including Saudi Arabia, urging the U.S. to attack Iran to end its nuclear program, lay out U.S. efforts to stem corruption in the Afghan government and cite the widespread use of hacking by the Chinese government.

The cables report U.S. diplomats' view that Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has become the European "mouthpiece" of Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin.

Certainly untactful language about Prime Minister Berlusconi but this is pale stuff in comparison with the paragraph above it. And I suppose it will only get worse.

I take it for granted that some European diplomats do not think highly of some U.S. officials, or of some other European officials, and vice versa. I don't need leaked cables to know that GWB was not well-regarded. So I hope we can avoid handing out dueling pistols over leaked candid remarks. But it will cause problems, no doubt.

But I really would not want to be an Arab diplomat identified as advising the U.S. to attack Iran.
Ken

#5 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2010-November-28, 16:09

View Postkenberg, on 2010-November-28, 15:27, said:

But I really would not want to be an Arab diplomat identified as advising the U.S. to attack Iran.

Because, of course, there is deep love between the Persians and the Arabs....

Andrew Sullivan had a couple decent articles about this:

http://andrewsulliva...-christmas.html
http://andrewsulliva...ist-terror.html
Alderaan delenda est

#6 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2010-November-28, 16:22

OK, I sit corrected.
Ken

#7 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2010-November-28, 21:09

If the U.S. had genuine news organizations instead of a highly-paid stenographer corps, there would be no Wikileaks.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#8 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2010-November-29, 16:44

View Postkenberg, on 2010-November-28, 15:27, said:

The cables provide reports of Arab nations, including Saudi Arabia, urging the U.S. to attack Iran to end its nuclear program, lay out U.S. efforts to stem corruption in the Afghan government and cite the widespread use of hacking by the Chinese government.

The cables report U.S. diplomats' view that Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has become the European "mouthpiece" of Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin.

and this one may be far more explosive

But with the damage already done, the WikiLeaks information reveals some stark communications made among U.S. officials and foreign leaders. The New York Times reported that one cable captured a conversation between Yemeni president Ali Abdullah Saleh and Gen. David H. Petraeus, then leader of U.S. Central Command, that detailed a deal in which the Yemenis would take credit for bombing terror outposts as a means to prevent anger at the government by allowing U.S. forces to conduct operations.

from fox news... sounds like a "go ahead and bomb them and we'll say we did it"... i even read where they'd use materials proving it was actually them and not us
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#9 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2010-November-29, 20:49

The fact of the leaking may well be more important than what is leaked.
Ken

#10 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2010-November-30, 17:53

You got to love Hillary's chutzpuh (spelling?). She calls out Wikileaks for a "Crime again civilization" for leaking the actual crimes (stealing credit cards from U.N. members) that she approved.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#11 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2010-November-30, 20:26

Seems sort of like a truth or dare game at a party that goes way off the rails. Been there. Everyone gets all truth on everyone.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#12 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-30, 21:11

I like the one that described Canadian policy as living in Wonderland.

Kim Jung Il, Ahminejad, Hugo Chavez, throw in a Bush or two and the aptly named Tea Party and this diplomat was bang on. We fell down the rabbit hole in the early 70's.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#13 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2010-December-01, 03:57

French president chasing a dog chasing a rabbit: http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-11883611
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#14 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-01, 04:55

Revealing secrets like that will shake earth foundation .......

what will be next?

Revealing that a rice bag was dropped in China?

#15 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2010-December-02, 03:54

Ahmedinejad thinks wikileaks is a project from the US government intended to undermine the relations between Iran and Saudi Arabia.

Putin says "Some experts believe that somebody is deceiving Wikileaks to undermine their reputation, to use them for their own political purposes later on"
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#16 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2010-December-02, 07:53

View Posthelene_t, on 2010-December-02, 03:54, said:

Ahmedinejad thinks wikileaks is a project from the US government intended to undermine the relations between Iran and Saudi Arabia.

Putin says "Some experts believe that somebody is deceiving Wikileaks to undermine their reputation, to use them for their own political purposes later on"

Do these views come from leaked cables?

People simply speak differently when they expect to be quoted. If I am to be quoted, I might describe someone as methodical and careful. In private I might describe them as not very creative. Pretty much, it's the same description of the same person.

http://voices.washin...able_ready.html
Ken

#17 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2010-December-02, 08:21

The most chilling aspect to me of this release of documents is the number of people who agree with Sarah Palin that an Australian citizen should somehow be found guilty of "treason" B) and he should receive the death penalty for his act of serial embarrassings.

#18 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2010-December-02, 08:55

View PostWinstonm, on 2010-December-02, 08:21, said:

The most chilling aspect to me of this release of documents is the number of people who agree with Sarah Palin that an Australian citizen should somehow be found guilty of "treason" B) and he should receive the death penalty for his act of serial embarrassings.

You must be one of the dreaded elite who claim that words have definitions.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#19 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2010-December-02, 10:31

"Words mean what I want them to mean, neither more nor less." -- Humpty Dumpty
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#20 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2010-December-02, 10:41

View Postkenberg, on 2010-December-02, 07:53, said:

Do these views come from leaked cables?

People simply speak differently when they expect to be quoted. If I am to be quoted, I might describe someone as methodical and careful. In private I might describe them as not very creative. Pretty much, it's the same description of the same person.

http://voices.washin...able_ready.html

OK, if I expect to be quoted I call Putin a strong leader who is highly influential in Russian society through his wide-reaching network beyond the bureaucracy.

If I don't expect to be quoted I just say he's a mafia boss.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users