• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Election Day!

#1 User is offline   xtimmiex 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:reading, politics, watching documentaries, alternative rock, watching fireworks, spanish, coloring, spades, swimming, playing with pikachu, chatting, tennis

Posted 2010-November-02, 05:44

Americans, don't forget to go out and vote for your local congressmen, and U.S. senators! :)

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2010-November-02, 07:17

xtimmiex, on 2010-November-02, 05:44, said:

Americans, don't forget to go out and vote for your local congressmen, and U.S. senators! :)

Why, do they really deserve any votes?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-02, 10:23

Best thing about voting day is that all the irritating, annoying, obnoxious, stupid, idiotic, retarded, etc. etc. political campaign ads end.

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2010-November-02, 10:24

Some interesting ballot measures in the Golden State today.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2010-November-02, 10:32

matmat, on 2010-November-02, 10:23, said:

Best thing about voting day is that all the irritating, annoying, obnoxious, stupid, idiotic, retarded, etc. etc. political campaign ads end.

Wow, we got a ridiculous number of robo-calls this year from both major parties! As I understand it, the law exempts these political calls from the no-call list. I don't mind talking to a real person now and then, but I'd really like to have a way to stop the robo-calls.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#6 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2010-November-02, 10:42

PassedOut, on 2010-November-02, 10:32, said:

Wow, we got a ridiculous number of robo-calls this year from both major parties! As I understand it, the law exempts these political calls from the no-call list. I don't mind talking to a real person now and then, but I'd really like to have a way to stop the robo-calls.

You still have a land line? Is it kept on top of the Betamax by chance? :P
Hi y'all!

#7 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-02, 10:55

Phil, on 2010-November-02, 10:42, said:

You still have a land line? Is it kept on top of the Betamax by chance? :P

Yep, still one business land line, down from five (no Betamax though). ;)
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#8 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2010-November-02, 12:50

Yes I voted. After voting we stopped for lunch at the local Mexican place and they were giving discounts to those sporting an "I voted" sticker.

I had enjoyable chats with the folks outside who were promoting specific candidates and in fact changed my decision about one of the county council candidates as a result. My wife had a chat with one of our neighbors who was outside and pushing a school board candidate. This particular candidate must have slept through grammar class. It surprises me how many of the candidates for the minor offices apparently do not have anyone proof-read the material that they hand out.

Voting was a pleasure and I am thinking that later today I may return and do it again.
Ken

#9 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2010-November-02, 12:50

As Phil notes below, this post orignally was somehow a repeat of the above post. How, I dunno. Huh!
Ken

#10 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2010-November-02, 13:01

kenberg, on 2010-November-02, 12:50, said:

Voting was a pleasure and I am thinking that later today I may return and do it again.

Ironic you chose to double post this :P
Hi y'all!

#11 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-02, 14:15

kenberg, on 2010-November-02, 12:50, said:

It surprises me how many of the candidates for the minor offices apparently do not have anyone proof-read the material that they hand out.

Yes, you might think they'd have someone (maybe of the elite class) read that stuff over before letting it out of their hands.

Still, I have often been amazed and disgusted by the blatant errors in resumes people send out when job-hunting -- when you'd think they'd try to look good. So I guess office seekers treat their campaign literature with the same attitude. But for the school board? No wonder we're in trouble.

#12 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-02, 14:33

matmat, on 2010-November-02, 10:23, said:

Except if you live in a run-off state, although we may avoid that this time.

#13 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-02, 15:20

Watching several election reports at the german political channel at the moment...a special one about pre-election days on FOX TV. Fascinating and terryfing to see how Murdochs propaganda machine works. I see that there are people who belive this bull sh** after watching it 100 times, its normal....but so many millions?
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#14 User is offline   luke warm 

• Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2010-November-03, 05:24

Aberlour10, on 2010-November-02, 15:20, said:

Watching several election reports at the german political channel at the moment...a special one about pre-election days on FOX TV. Fascinating and terryfing to see how Murdochs propaganda machine works. I see that there are people who belive this bull sh** after watching it 100 times, its normal....but so many millions?

any particular bullshit you're speaking of?
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#15 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-03, 06:44

Interesting that California seems to be once again bucking the national trend.

Jerry Brown (democrat for governor) and Barbara Boxer (senate) both won by larger than expected margins, despite massive amounts of money spent against them and the supposed Republican wave.

According to CNN there are two "too close to call" house races both involving democrat incumbents in heavily republican areas, and every other incumbent (of either party) has won despite the supposed anti-incumbent mood.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#16 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2010-November-03, 07:57

Here in Maryland it seems that also the mood is "Start the revolution without me". Martin O'Malley, the dem gov, was easily re-elected. Same for Barbara Mikulski, aka SenatorBarb. Ditto Steny Hoyer.

Nationally, of course, it's a different story. Listening to Rand Paul it's hard to see how he and Barack Obama could agree on the time of day. After an election it is popular to speak of working together, but when people live in two entirely different worlds this may not be possible, however well-intended the effort. I always hope to be wrong in my pessimism but I don't foresee much progress on any serious issues for the next two years. The country has made a mistake. Either electing Barack Obama was a mistake or else electing Rand Paul et al was a mistake. I think it's the latter, but at least one of these actions was a mistake. It's like an auction 1-2-4-6. It's hard to see how all of those bids are right.
Ken

#17 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2010-November-03, 08:13

well one thing's for sure - the reports (hopes?) that the republican party was dead (many on these forums said much the same) after 2008 were premature... i also think the tea party is more than a novelty... it wouldn't surprise me to see it come close to taking over the republican party by '12... it simply needs to come together and to agree on a platform that makes sense without alienating so many... one way to do that is to separate personal beliefs from governmental policies... take for example gay marriage - simply take no stand on it from a national perspective... leave it up to the states, don't work for abolishing it nationally... same for any number of things... almost everyone understands that the stronger the central gov't the less liberty the people have, almost everyone thinks taxes are high enough/too high, almost everyone understands that the constitution was written by people with a vision different from the one held by most of today's politicians, almost everyone understands that entrepreneurs create jobs, not the gov't ... focus on these things and leave the social issues to local politics
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#18 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2010-November-03, 09:07

When this issue of government restricting our freedoms comes up I always wonder just what the person has in mind doing. Fifty years ago I rode a motorcycle without a helmet. I took a bad spill and went out and bought a helmet. Now the gov says I have to have one. And of course I drive a car now. Where I live I think I cannot have a goat in the backyard. I don't want one. Also no chickens. Fresh eggs would be nice, but still, I can live with the restrictions. I have to go through security at airports, and once they confiscated a wrench that I forgot was in my backpack. All things considered, it's OK by me.

Chatting at the polls yesterday with local candidates, I raised the issue of walking about. There is a sort of downtown area about three miles away and a while back I decided to walk instead of drive. On a good part of the way a guy takes his life in his hands, walking on a narrow to non-existent shoulder as the cars whiz by. More sidewalks and bicycle paths would be very welcome. But that's local. At the federal level I really have no idea of just what I want to do that big government prohibits.

Taxes:
If (Big If, certainly) my tax dollars are used well, I have no problem with forking over the cash.
Getting the cash to the intended target w/o too much seepage is indeed a problem.
Ken

#19 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2010-November-03, 09:12

kenberg, on 2010-November-03, 09:07, said:

When this issue of government restricting our freedoms comes up I always wonder just what the person has in mind doing.

do i take this to mean that you disagree when i wrote, "almost everyone understands that the stronger the central gov't the less liberty the people have?"

#20 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2010-November-03, 09:58

Yes, I think I disagree. I don't see a strong government as necessarily inimical to personal freedom. It can be so, of course. But in my own experience I have seldom or never come to a point of "I would really like to do X but the government won't allow it". Of course there might be the occasional person whom I would like to shoot, but really I don't think I would do so even if it were permitted. I would soon run out of partners if I acted on such desires.
Ken

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users