BBO Discussion Forums: take your call back behind screens? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

take your call back behind screens?

#1 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-November-20, 15:27

1-(pass)-<screen>-1NT!-(pass)
2-(pass)-<screen>-2-(Pass)
Pass
Opps play some kind of 2/1. 1NT was forcing.
Last pass was taken back when he realized that 2 was a -fit and limit+.
Is it allowed to take this pass back when opp has not yet passed?

#2 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2010-November-20, 19:44

No. Law 25B applies. There is nothing in the Screen Regs to permit such a change.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#3 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-21, 03:24

I find this one of the strange positions that can happen in the game, screens or not.

You are not permitted to change your call, however if you do change your call then LHO has the opportunity to accept the change. It seems that you are a lot better off by not calling the Director when you recognise your error, just change the call and hope that LHO does not call the Director and passes, perhaps misunderstanding the Laws.

However is this not unethical behaviour, since you would be intentionally breaking the Law but willing to pay the penalty? But this was not the view of the EBU Director's when it occurred in the Camrose two years ago (Garvey-Cooke vs Sime-Matheson) although there were extenuating circumstances (details).

Finally, with screens there is a different requirement for a call to be made, usually the release of the call on the tray. Just pulling a card from the bidding box is not sufficient.

Paul
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#4 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-21, 03:31

View Postbluejak, on 2010-November-20, 19:44, said:

No. Law 25B applies. There is nothing in the Screen Regs to permit such a change.

Thank you for the answer!
Opps was telling me that the same happened at the other table and he allowed to take the bid back & I thought that it wasn't allowed, but I wasn't 100% sure about the regulation. So I allowed him to change his call.
I told this at the bar after the game and was told the story about bidding behind screens:
The bidding did go something like 1S-2S-4S-(...thinking by opp and then the 4S bidder changed his bid to 3NT). I was very surprised that this was allowed (:) ). So I asked the story teller if a Director was called after this changed bid. And they told me that a director allowed this and that he said that it is allowed until opps have bid.
Maybe there is a special regulation in Belgium, or maybe it wasn't the best director, or maybe something was not really true or understood from the story.

#5 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2010-November-22, 12:05

View Postkgr, on 2010-November-20, 15:27, said:

1-(pass)-<screen>-1NT!-(pass)
2-(pass)-<screen>-2-(Pass)
Pass
Opps play some kind of 2/1. 1NT was forcing.
Last pass was taken back when he realized that 2 was a -fit and limit+.
Is it allowed to take this pass back when opp has not yet passed?

With or without screens, he's certainly allowed to take his pass back if the 2S bid was alerted late/not at all, under usual MI rulings.

#6 User is offline   dburn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-22, 12:24

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2010-November-22, 12:05, said:

With or without screens, he's certainly allowed to take his pass back if the 2S bid was alerted late/not at all, under usual MI rulings.

I don't think you're allowed to take your own call back just because you've forgotten to alert partner's. After all, if you'd remebered to do the latter, you would presumably not want to do the former.
When Senators have had their sport
And sealed the Law by vote,
It little matters what they thought -
We hang for what they wrote.

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2010-November-22, 20:13

I suspect Frances misread or misunderstood, and thought it was an opponent who wanted to take back their pass. That's the only way that her reference to "MI rulings" makes sense.

#8 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-23, 03:25

View Postkgr, on 2010-November-21, 03:31, said:

The bidding did go something like 1S-2S-4S-(...thinking by opp and then the 4S bidder changed his bid to 3NT). I was very surprised that this was allowed (:) ). So I asked the story teller if a Director was called after this changed bid. And they told me that a director allowed this and that he said that it is allowed until opps have bid.
Maybe there is a special regulation in Belgium, or maybe it wasn't the best director, or maybe something was not really true or understood from the story.

Maybe it happened some time ago? The regulations changed a couple of years ago.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#9 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-23, 03:26

Duplicate post deleted
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic