• You cannot reply to this topic

Scotland is open for business innovative English and Americans welcome

#21 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-February-18, 08:02

paulg, on 2010-August-05, 01:48, said:

The WBF Systems Committee recently told me that any system with an artificial 1 opener that is not Blue must be Red. This includes systems where a non-forcing 1 is opened on a two-card suit when holding precisely 4=4=3=2.

Except if you play a strong diamond system in which case it is blue (assuming your 2-openings are natural).
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#22 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2011-February-18, 17:18

paulg, on 2010-August-05, 01:48, said:

But what is natural? The WBF Systems Committee recently told me that any system with an artificial 1 opener that is not Blue must be Red. This includes systems where a non-forcing 1 is opened on a two-card suit when holding precisely 4=4=3=2.

I am sure this is true if played by Scots, or by players from elswhere in the British Isles. But we have been repeatedly told (by WBF) that if players from South of the English Channel or West of the Atlantic open 1C on 4=4=3=2 that is natural. :)
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#23 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-19, 02:39

RMB1, on 2011-February-18, 17:18, said:

I am sure this is true if played by Scots, or by players from elswhere in the British Isles. But we have been repeatedly told (by WBF) that if players from South of the English Channel or West of the Atlantic open 1C on 4=4=3=2 that is natural. :)

Strange.
We (Norway) have adopted the WBF definitions for classifying systems and one of the fundamental requirements here for a green system (natural) is that 1M shows at least 4 cards while 1m shows at least three.

With 4-4-3-2 a 1 opening bid is OK, but a 1 opening bid makes the system Blue or Read as the case may be (or possibly even Yellow depending on the rest of the system!)

But I suppose we are not considered as being South of the English Channel? B-)

#24 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2011-February-19, 04:36

pran, on 2011-February-19, 02:39, said:

But I suppose we are not considered as being South of the English Channel?

I did not intend to make any statement about countries on the North Sea (or the Baltic Sea).
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#25 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2011-February-19, 05:53

Strange.
We (Norway) have adopted the WBF definitions for classifying systems and one of the fundamental requirements here for a green system (natural) is that 1M shows at least 4 cards while 1m shows at least three.

With 4-4-3-2 a 1 opening bid is OK, but a 1 opening bid makes the system Blue or Read as the case may be (or possibly even Yellow depending on the rest of the system!)

And yet, at the European Championships in Ostend last year, all three Norwegian pairs were playing 2+ 1 openers and marked their systems as Green (http://goo.gl/9Mp6S).
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#26 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2011-February-19, 06:31

Strange.

paulg, on 2011-February-19, 05:53, said:

And yet, at the European Championships in Ostend last year, all three Norwegian pairs were playing 2+ 1 openers and marked their systems as Green (http://goo.gl/9Mp6S).

Interesting.
I wasn't there and I don't know the regulation(s) in force.

All I can quote is from the regulations in force where I direct (up to Norwegian championships), and those are the regulations I enforce. 2+ 1 openers with a Green system is definitely not allowed in Norway.

#27 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2011-February-19, 09:21

pran, on 2011-February-19, 06:31, said:

Interesting.

All I can quote is from the regulations in force where I direct (up to Norwegian championships), and those are the regulations I enforce. 2+ 1 openers with a Green system is definitely not allowed in Norway.

The EBL Systems Policy has the same wording as the WBF Systems Policy.

The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#28 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2011-February-19, 09:56

paulg, on 2011-February-19, 05:53, said:

pran, on 2011-February-19, 06:31, said:

Interesting.

paulg, on 2011-February-19, 09:21, said:

The EBL Systems Policy has the same wording as the WBF Systems Policy.

In that case I do indeed wonder how 2+ 1 openers with a Green system could be allowed?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users