• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Keep those bidding cards out! ACBL

#1 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-March-29, 16:06

One suggestion I have for the ACBL is to not immediately put the bidding cards back in the box after the final pass. It seems so much more sensible to me to leave them out in case there are any questions either by opening leader or opening leader's partner.

I know people can remember what happened during the auction if they try, but how much time is saved by putting the cards away right away?

What do you think?
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#2 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-29, 16:14

People tend to leave them out either when they have had a long or complicated auction or when their opponents ask them to anyway. It does save a little time to put them away right away since there is nothing else to do when the opening leader is thinking.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#3 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-29, 16:20

If I have a long auction and I can see the opponents bouncing their heads back and forth trying to remember everything, I just tell them I'll leave the bids out until they make a lead.

I'm not certain it's best to mandate the practice, because I agree with jdonn, but common sense suggests that sometimes people should do it anyway.
OK
bed

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2010-March-29, 17:00

Last time I asked somebody to keep the bidding cards out, he put them away, then looked at me and said "huh?" :unsure:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-29, 18:01

The EBU does require the cards to be left out (OB 7B7), which I find helpful. I am not sure I had noticed the precise wording before, but as a pedant I appreciate it adding that they can be put back immediately if the board was passed out :unsure:

#6 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-30, 00:26

I like this for explanation because if the partner of the opening leader has questions even saying "please leave the bidding cards out" before the lead can transmit UI or lead to feelings that UI might be being transmitted to the opening leader.

Also, the other nice side effect, is that it stops the bad habit of the turbo tap or the second person to pass just picking up their bids instead of passing. It seems like at least once a week I have an auction where my opponents want to assume the auction is over but I want to double or sac and they start picking up the auction assuming the auction is done before it is.

So you sort of get a 2 for 1 benefit of adopting the leave the bidding cards out until the opening lead is faced. Of course, if you don't use bidding cards but instead write the auction out on paper that would work too to preserve the auction.

#7 User is online   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-30, 01:33

When we play in the NABCs and leave our bidding cards on the table, our opponents wait a decent time and then note that the auction is over and we can put them away. When we explain that this is how it's done in the UK, and we are waiting for the lead, they say that seems a really good idea.

A couple of more lawyerly people have said that there was an ACBL rule that they should be left out, but no-one ever does. I have not found such rule after a quick scan, but my feeling is that it would need a horrendous number of PPs to convince ACBL players to change. A bit like trying to make everyone use the Stop card.

Paul
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-30, 01:35

jdonn, on Mar 29 2010, 11:14 PM, said:

It does save a little time to put them away right away since there is nothing else to do when the opening leader is thinking.

Does it? Can't people use the time that the dummy is using to table his hand?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#9 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2010-March-30, 05:17

In England and Denmark we let the bidding cards stay on table until the opening lead has been faced up and I think that is a very good. The auction hasn't ended before the opening lead has been faced up because declarer still might correct the explanation of a call so that the last opp to pass can make a call.

In the Netherlands they don't do it and it sucks, especially because a lot of club players put their bidding cards back in the box as soon as they think the auction is going to end. Then the auction proceeds and people have to take the bidding cards back to the table and reconstruct the auction, and start asking questions about how the auction went, while it still hasn't ended.

I don't think it saves any time, either. When dummy has been tabled everyone needs some time to think anyway and that is great time to put the bidding cards back.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#10 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-30, 07:30

helene_t, on Mar 30 2010, 12:17 PM, said:

In England and Denmark we let the bidding cards stay on table until the opening lead has been faced up and I think that is a very good. The auction hasn't ended before the opening lead has been faced up because declarer still might correct the explanation of a call so that the last opp to pass can make a call.

In the Netherlands they don't do it and it sucks, especially because a lot of club players put their bidding cards back in the box as soon as they think the auction is going to end. Then the auction proceeds and people have to take the bidding cards back to the table and reconstruct the auction, and start asking questions about how the auction went, while it still hasn't ended.

I don't think it saves any time, either. When dummy has been tabled everyone needs some time to think anyway and that is great time to put the bidding cards back.

The regulation in The Netherlands is that the bidding cards should stay on the table. In practice, nobody follows this regulation.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#11 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2010-March-30, 07:32

"Off with their heads!" — the Red Queen, in Alice in Wonderland :)
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#12 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2010-March-30, 11:24

Vampyr, on Mar 30 2010, 02:35 AM, said:

jdonn, on Mar 29 2010, 11:14 PM, said:

It does save a little time to put them away right away since there is nothing else to do when the opening leader is thinking.

Does it? Can't people use the time that the dummy is using to table his hand?

That's time you could spend thinking about dummy.

#13 User is offline   jeremy69 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-March-30, 16:27

Men, of course, can multitask and manage both to think and also to put their bidding cards away!

#14 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2010-March-30, 16:51

jeremy69, on Mar 30 2010, 05:27 PM, said:

Men, of course, can multitask and manage both to think and also to put their bidding cards away!

Sounds like the same type of men who think they drive just as well when they are on the cell phone.

#15 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2010-March-30, 18:45

Actually, they probably do. Idiots. :P
--------------------

#16 User is offline   debrose 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-30, 22:58

cardsharp, on Mar 30 2010, 02:33 AM, said:

When we play in the NABCs and leave our bidding cards on the table, our opponents wait a decent time and then note that the auction is over and we can put them away. When we explain that this is how it's done in the UK, and we are waiting for the lead, they say that seems a really good idea.

A couple of more lawyerly people have said that there was an ACBL rule that they should be left out, but no-one ever does. I have not found such rule after a quick scan, but my feeling is that it would need a horrendous number of PPs to convince ACBL players to change. A bit like trying to make everyone use the Stop card.

Paul

I've possibly been one of those opponents who has commented on what a good idea this seems to be. Whenever I tell any of my students, most of whom are club players, that this is done in the UK, they love the idea and wonder why not here.
As Paul mentioned, it seems awfully tough to get ACBL players to change anything, but the first step would be a rule. Can anyone (Jan Martel?) direct us as to the best place to write letters requesting this type of rule change?

#17 User is offline   JanM 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-31, 16:40

I think this would be a matter for the ACBL Laws Commission. The last time I responded to a post on here by asking the Laws Commission about it & they actually did something about the problem, they were roundly criticized by forum members, http://forums.bridge...pic=37766&st=90, but sucker that I am, I'll ask about this.

You can find a list of Laws Commission members at http://www.acbl.org/...ionMembers.html if you want to contact any of them directly.
Jan Martel, who should probably state that she is not speaking on behalf of the USBF, the ACBL, the WBF Systems Committee, or any member of any Systems Committee or Laws Commission.

#18 User is offline   JanM 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-31, 17:09

Chip tells me that leaving the bidding cards out would be a matter of ACBL regulation, not ACBL laws, and therefore the right committee to contact is C&C. You can see a list of C&C members here. You can email C&C at candc@acbl.org.
Jan Martel, who should probably state that she is not speaking on behalf of the USBF, the ACBL, the WBF Systems Committee, or any member of any Systems Committee or Laws Commission.

#19 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2010-March-31, 17:19

It is in the nature of such things that whatever "solution" is taken by TPTB, somebody won't like it. :blink:

I kind of thought the C&C might be the right place. B)
--------------------

#20 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2010-March-31, 18:08

Heh. I just re-read the regulation. I find this part mildly amusing:

A call is considered made when a bidding card is removed from the bidding box and held touching or nearly touching the table or maintained in such a position to indicate that the call has been made.We should use unauthorized information where reasonably appropriate (where we can rule that a bid has not been made).

The emphasis is mine, and is the funny part. Of course, what they almost certainly (I'm not a mind reader) mean is that TDs should remind the partner of a player who has not quite made a bid that he should not use UI, but... B)

The other thing I noticed was this:

Except when screens are in use, a player must say "Alert" out loud when tapping the alert strip of the bidding box.
To which my reaction is mostly "what alert strip?" :blink: (People tend not to put them in their little slot in the bidding box, even when they're available).
--------------------

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users