BBO Discussion Forums: George Orwell On Nationalsim - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

George Orwell On Nationalsim Writer or prophet?

#1 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2009-May-10, 09:33

This, in my mind, explains the polarization that has occured in the U.S. There is a vast difference between patriotism and nationalism, and many have confused the meanings. George Orwell noted the differences years ago...

Orwell wrote:

"All nationalists have the power of not seeing resemblances between similar sets of facts. Actions are held to be good or bad, not on their own merits but according to who does them, and there is almost no kind of outrage — torture, the use of hostages, forced labor, mass deportations, imprisonment without trial, forgery, assassination, the bombing of civilians — which does not change its moral color when committed by ‘our’ side.… The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them."

http://www.george-or...ionalism/0.html
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#2 User is offline   hanp 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-May-10, 11:12

I don't think there is a large difference between nationalism and patriotism, they are just different graduations of the same phenomenon. What Orwell said about nationalism is true for patriots, perhaps in different graduations.
and the result can be plotted on a graph.

#3 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2009-May-10, 12:04

First we need is a clear definition of both terms.

#4 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2009-May-10, 13:44

Gerardo, on May 10 2009, 01:04 PM, said:

First we need is a clear definition of both terms.

Orwell's definitions:

By 'patriotism' I mean devotion to a particular place and a particular
way of life, which one believes to be the best in the world but has no
wish to force on other people. Patriotism is of its nature defensive,
both militarily and culturally. Nationalism, on the other hand, is
inseparable from the desire for power. The abiding purpose of every
nationalist is to secure more power and more prestige, NOT for himself
but for the nation or other unit in which he has chosen to sink his own
individuality.

I believe there are many good, decent, hard-working people who have been duped into nationalistic fervor because its proponents have wrapped those beliefs in a false-flag of patriotism. Because of this mis-leadership, to question or doubt the authorities has been labeled anti-American sentiment - when in truth the only thing that is anti-American is the blind loyalty and blind obedience being sold as patriotism.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#5 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2009-May-10, 17:16

Winstonm, on May 10 2009, 02:44 PM, said:

I believe there are many good, decent, hard-working people who have been duped into nationalistic fervor because its proponents have wrapped those beliefs in a false-flag of patriotism. Because of this mis-leadership, to question or doubt the authorities has been labeled anti-American sentiment - when in truth the only thing that is anti-American is the blind loyalty and blind obedience being sold as patriotism.

For sure.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users