BBO Discussion Forums: Automatic reseating into tournaments - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Automatic reseating into tournaments

#1 User is offline   dugite 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2004-February-10, 07:12

The 1 thing that bugs me in BBO is the instant disappearence of players to play in a tournament.
1 second they are there.........and then the quote that says "I have left to go somewhere else.Tough luck if you playing"
I find this rude in the extreme.We all know when tournies are starting so why start a hand you can't guarantee to finish.
I have played with people who are only at a table for 2 minutes before they disappear in a cloud of red.Poor form I reckon.Good manners cost nothing so why not just say "sorry I am playing in a tourny.Thx for playing.Goodbye"and leave before the server grabs you by hair and wrenches you from your seat.
Maybe the programmers can make it impossible for a player(who is regged in a T) to start bidding within 5 minutes of the T starting.This (if possible)would stop this occurring and end the bad will that usually eventuates when 1 or more players disappear.

Sorry for the whinge but maybe some don't realise that lots of players don't appreciate being left to sit and hope someone will take over a hand midway through or waste good bidding and play.

Dugite

#2 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2004-February-10, 08:40

That might actually be a good idea. In another thread a similar discussion has started about leaving to tourneys during casual play. I don't know however if it's easy, to make people stand up from their seats within 5 minutes before the tourney starts when a board is finished...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-February-10, 08:53

There are three issues here....

The first is the rudeness of someone to join a table, maybe get half way through the bidding of the first hand, or on to trick 2 when they leave to join a tourney they registered for.

The second is people adding you to a team match, often without out your permission. That is, some people are sucked into events without their knowledge they are going.

The third is people signing up as a substitute for an ongoing tournment, where they have no idea if they will be needed (most often maybe, not).

Ok. The first one is horrible, and the player rightfully should be chastised. The second one, someone needs to be yelled at, but not the person hijacked against his will and without advanced warning.

The first one there is probably a software solution. The second one, I don't see a work around besides having the software verify each person in a team game agrees to joining it (sending them a verification note like when they accept with a partner in a regular event).

The third case, however, is quite different. If you sign up to subsitute in an tourney, you are helping out hassled TD. Odds maybe you will not join. If we ban people on substitute list from joining and playing in the main room, then the list of possible subs (which is too short already) will shrink more. The sub is doing a great public service, and this "sudden-entry" into an event can not be predicted.

So this is not as clear cut as the people posting on this topic assume. I always try to track when a tournment I am going to play in will begin and stop playing in the main room BEFORE the start. Not starting a hand with 8 minutes to tournment time is a good idea...but then you TD are going to have to stop adding and subtracting time. For instance, once I had 14 min until scheduled time, but since the tourment was "full" the director decided (without announcement) to start it early. ... so as you can see, there are a lot of side issues that are not so easily addressed.

Ben
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   etherwiz 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-February-10, 11:30

Starting a Tourney early seams like a good idea. When it is is full (or looks like no more will sign up). However there may be people who just quit spmething, signed for the tourney, and went for a cup of caffine (coffe or coke or tea is common and waiting for something to start is good time to do it).

Sometimes (mainly for small tourneys I run totally by myslef) the people message me to start it NOW as they do not want to wait 5 or 7 more minutes.

Sometimes I do that. I send a message to the Tournament that I am doing and just do, and that is wrong. I should message the tourney that I am about to start x minutes early early and then give time for someone to object.

Question: I thought that Tournament message went to anyone in the Tournament room or Tournament Table. It would be nice to also send it to registered (and maybe registered at the Partnership desk)/ Even if they are not in the Tournament Room and doubly so if it has not started yet. If that is possible (may be too musch to do) then it should also be easy to send a Two Minute Warning to the Reg'ed people. Just thinking out loud here

Thinking has allways got me into trouble, or so my Ex's tell me. :D

_*_Dave

#5 User is offline   Trpltrbl 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sailing, cooking, bonsaitrees.

Posted 2004-February-10, 17:57

Yes give them a 2 minutes warning before tourney starts. I think that will work the best, so you have time to let people at table know what is going on.

Mike :D
“If there is dissatisfaction with the status quo, good. If there is ferment,
so much the better. If there is restlessness, I am pleased. Then let there
be ideas, and hard thought, and hard work.”

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users