Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

link to "Running Scores" a suggestion to assist commentators

#1 User is offline   MolvaM 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2007-July-13, 04:00

commentators (in most cases roland), are frequesntly asked about the link to running scores during vugraph shows from in international competitions.
since a new spec logs in every minute, the commentators are somehow forced to repeat the link every few minutes which surely becomes tiring and frustrating.

is there a way to insert a button (with an adjustable link !) to the lower right corner of the BBO screen (just below the "Tourneys" button) so that the link stays there throughout the vugraph show?

To protect any abuses, it could be that the link can be updated only by a yellow?

#2 User is offline   shoeless 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2007-July-14, 13:45

Great idea Molva, commentators also don't always remember to reaffirm these links when they are caught up in the action so this would easily put the power in the specs hands. In South-east Asia spectators tend not to bother commentators with information requests - it's largely cultural but also maybe a language issue - having such a facility would provide them the autonomy to get the info they want.

#3 User is offline   Walddk 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Cricket

Posted 2007-July-14, 14:07

shoeless, on Jul 14 2007, 09:45 PM, said:

In South-east Asia spectators tend not to bother commentators with information requests - it's largely cultural but also maybe a language issue.

Never thought about that until you mention it now, Rick. You are right, I never get requests from users in that part of the world, and surely many of them know how to ask in English. So it must be a cultural thing.

To be honest, I don't need more requests ;) , because, as you can imagine, I get loads as it is. Every time a new spectator arrives, he/she (understandably) would like to have the link to running scores. For obvious reasons I don't have time to give it every 15 seconds.

Murat's suggestion is of course excellent. I just don't know how difficult it is to implement. Until something happens I tend to give the link in the open room every 5 minutes or so, and I ask my fellow commentators in the closed room to do the same.

Finally, I don't know if you have noticed, but I have also asked our operators to put the link in their profiles.

Roland
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#4 User is offline   shoeless 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-July-14, 14:17

I hadn't noticed, but that is a good idea. Any number of inquiries cut down by doing that can only be good.

BTW - must credit Larry Mori for the cultural observation made during the last PABF

#5 User is offline   cicus 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:chess, sports, music, reading, movies

Posted 2007-July-18, 23:49

Walddk, on Jul 14 2007, 03:07 PM, said:

Until something happens I tend to give the link in the open room every 5 minutes or so, and I ask my fellow commentators in the closed room to do the same.

However, commentators have the multiple task of commenting on the bidding and play, watching each other's comments, give background information, and all this possibly in an entertaining and instructive style. During all this we are regularly talked to by spectators. There is also the home background, like having to talk to wife. I find that quite a burden already, and I simply can't always cope with the task of regularly giving the link.
Gabor Szots
Szentendre, Hungary

#6 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-July-19, 06:14

There was one commentator during yesterday's vugraph who appeared to have the sole function of making sure TWO copies of the link were always visible in the chat box. I must admit I never thought about how annoying it must be for the person postings -- I never got past how annoying it was as someone who was watching.

My suggestion would be a dedicated line at the top of the chat box for an informational link.

I am surprised that spectators bother the commentators with link requests. Wouldn't using Google be more polite than bothering commentators with personal requests?

#7 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2007-July-19, 06:24

Every time a new spectator arrives, he/she (understandably) would like to have the link to running scores.

I agree that they would like it, but I think that if they arrive late they should look for it themselves, especially since it is not at all hard to find. Anything else is spoiled behaviour. Posting the link 5 times or so during the session should be enough.

The main reason is: When you announce it every 5 minutes, it will be useless info for almost all kibs (they already have it) and takes away commentators from the important things.

The solution proposed here would be "nice to have" though.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#8 User is offline   shoeless 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-July-19, 19:16

Can't argue with your assessment Gerben - but on the other hand - customers are customers.

I really like the idea of posting the link in a commentators profile - that could help. I also wonder if the link could somehow be posted in either the vugraph lobby or as suggested in the chat area or even somewhere in the title of the match.

#9 User is offline   MolvaM 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2007-July-21, 09:20

showing the link in the commentators' or operators' profile wont help much because people would like to just "click" a link rather than memorizing it and typing it into their browser's address bar. memorizing especially long links with all slashes and upper/lowercase letters is impossible. the link *must* be clickable.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users