BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1074 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#6741 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-July-08, 17:26

ldrews, on 2017-July-08, 16:48, said:

Well, once again I can help you refine your understanding, although I thought you had already learned this. I have certainly said it on a number of occasions.

I support Trump's policy actions and executive orders, mostly and so far, that are moving the country in a direction that I approve of. I do not support Trump as a person to befriend or associate with. If you would like to replace Trump with another individual who will continue to move the country in the same direction, I have no problem with it.

I do enjoy how Trump is driving the liberal/left crazy.

Quite a lot of deniability, I see. Yet you already said that if it helps, furnish Trump with all the ladies he can handle, so I can see that is not where you draw the line. I suppose you consider yourself not a Trump supporter as you would draw the line at him shooting someone in public? But the fact you voted for him means you must be OK with his demeaning of handicapped reporters?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#6742 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-July-08, 18:36

From the Hard to know whether to laugh or cry Department:

An Iowa woman pleaded guilty to election misconduct this week after being accused of illegally voting twice for Donald Trump last year, according to The Associated Press.

The woman, 56-year-old Terri Lynn Rote, reportedly cast a ballot during early voting in Polk County and attempted to cast a second one at a satellite voting location, where she was arrested. Rote told police she voted twice because she believed Trump’s claims that the 2016 election would be rigged and thought her first ballot would be changed to a vote for Democrat Hillary Clinton, according to CBS News.

OK, only 2,999,999 more to go!
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#6743 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-July-08, 19:57

Winstonm, on 2017-July-08, 17:26, said:

Quite a lot of deniability, I see. Yet you already said that if it helps, furnish Trump with all the ladies he can handle, so I can see that is not where you draw the line. I suppose you consider yourself not a Trump supporter as you would draw the line at him shooting someone in public? But the fact you voted for him means you must be OK with his demeaning of handicapped reporters?

Interesting how you try to make something out of simple voting. Is this how you handle all of your data? Twist it to fit your narrative?

As you already well know, I support the policy actions and executive orders, not the man. Shall I repeat that again? I support the policy actions and executive orders, not the man. Can you hear me now?

And at what point would you be willing to supply ladies to the man? If it would save 1,000 lives? 10,000? 100,000? If not, then you are willing to sacrifice 100,000 lives to satisfy your sense of morality in the presidency. Not me.

#6744 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2017-July-08, 21:19

jogs, on 2017-July-02, 06:34, said:

The govt must provide income to the useless 50%.

Why?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6745 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-July-08, 21:47

ldrews, on 2017-July-08, 19:57, said:

Interesting how you try to make something out of simple voting. Is this how you handle all of your data? Twist it to fit your narrative?

As you already well know, I support the policy actions and executive orders, not the man. Shall I repeat that again? I support the policy actions and executive orders, not the man. Can you hear me now?

And at what point would you be willing to supply ladies to the man? If it would save 1,000 lives? 10,000? 100,000? If not, then you are willing to sacrifice 100,000 lives to satisfy your sense of morality in the presidency. Not me.

Yes, you've made it obvious you have no principles. The end justifies the means provided it is the end you want. This is nothing more than spoiled child mentality.

This life, which had been the tomb of his virtue and of his honour, is but a walking shadow; a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

#6746 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-09, 00:35

What a disgusting human being.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#6747 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-July-09, 08:06

Trump in action:

“Putin & I discussed forming an impenetrable Cyber Security unit so that election hacking, & many other negative things, will be guarded and safe,” Trump said, quickly turning his attention to the Democratic National Committee and his predecessor, Barack Obama.

To prevent any more bank robberies, I'm giving John Dillinger the key to all our banks...

#6748 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-July-09, 08:40

Winstonm, on 2017-July-09, 08:06, said:

Trump in action:

Just came to post that too. LOL

#6749 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-09, 09:22

Winstonm, on 2017-July-09, 08:06, said:

Trump in action:

To prevent any more bank robberies, I'm giving John Dillinger the key to all our banks...

It's a dangerous world when the President of the United States believes the assurances of Putin more than the intelligence provided by our western intelligence agencies.

Before we condemn this act as ridiculous and provocatively dangerous, we need to carefully review the intelligence failures and abuses and missteps that have led to this underlying mistrust between the defense department, intelligence agencies, and the President.

There needs to be some kind of summit meeting between the factions because this type of divided government and intelligence gathering towards our foreign policy appears counterproductive and dysfunctional.

I think Trump is asking us to dig deeper on the unquestioned motives of information supplied by our intelligence agencies. Remember, Russia is a big threat to our global monetary hegemony from an oil and natural gas reserve perspective so there could be a compelling financial incentive to keep Russia as one of our main enemies. It holds the 8th largest reserve of proven oil reserves in the world and THE largest natural gas reserve in the world so we need to keep them financially contained through economic sanctions. We need to make sure they remain on our watch list because they could build alliances to undermine the dominance of the U.S. dollar as the functional world reserve currency.

We have to look at the whole picture instead of just the narrative supplied by the fourth estate.

#6750 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2017-July-09, 09:47

Folks in the US who like traveling abroad have to consider this question in these days of Trump, "Is it sufficient to disguise oneself as Canadian?" It's a bit reassuring that folks in the UIK now face a similar problem: When in Europe, dress like a walking apology for Brexit

Last year, when we visited France, I made sure the children always wore lapel badges, which I bought on the internet, of the EU flag. No one would be in any doubt of our political affiliations. Any awkwardness could be immediately abated by enthusiastic lapel-gesturing.

At the French holiday camp, Six and Nine made friends with some Belgian children of similar ages, Zes and Negen. And though, being English, we were unable to speak any foreign languages, least of all Belgian, we made our feelings about the complex pros and cons in the argument for European political and economic unity understood to the Walloons by pointing at the badges and pretending to cry, over and over again.

Of course, 12 months later, the situation is much worse, and the British, or more specifically the English, have gone from being regarded by the Europeans as the cool kids who gave the world the Beatles, James Bond, and football, to being a kind of embarrassing, weird family of angry and confused hooligans, whose garden is full of used nappies, old wet copies of Fiesta Readers’ Wives, and rusted tricycle frames.

A man on a secondhand record stall in the street market of a Pyrenean village last summer pretended he was not going to sell me a first pressing of Catherine Ribeiro’s 1972 classic Paix, despite my EU badge, due to assumed political differences. “Ah, Brexit,” he said, “no seminal stream-of-consciousness Parisienne street-poet space rock for you, monsieur!” But the tension was palpable. We needed to raise our game.

I realised I could use my mother’s sewing machine to clothe my very family itself, this summer, in unambiguously pro-European Union garments, exactly the sort of bespoke outfits we would need to ensure safe passage across the continent in these troubled times.

:)
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#6751 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-July-09, 11:33

Part I: Just how cozy was the Trump campaign to Russia?

From WaPo and the NYT:

By Tom Hamburger and Rosalind S. Helderman July 8 at 11:40 PM
The president’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., acknowledged attending a June 2016 meeting at Trump Tower with a Russian lawyer tied to the Kremlin, one of the first confirmed encounters between President Trump’s inner circle and a Russian national during the presidential campaign.

In a statement distributed Saturday evening, Trump Jr. confirmed he had participated in a “short introductory meeting,” which, per his request, was also attended by Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law, and the chair of the Trump campaign, Paul Manafort.

Part II: How many believe that Jared Kushner, Paul Manafort, and Donal Trump Jr. made time 2 weeks after the Republican convention to meet with this Russia lawyer to talk about adoptions?

“We primarily discussed a program about the adoption of Russian children that was active and popular with American families years ago and was since ended by the Russian government, but it was not a campaign issue at that time and there was no follow-up,” Trump Jr. said in the statement. “I was asked to attend the meeting by an acquaintance, but was not told the name of the person I would be meeting with beforehand.”

Part III: If meetings with Russians are never reported by Trump officials until after the press discovers them and reports them, and then unbelievable reasons for the meetings are given by Trump and his people, what do you think was happening?

#6752 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-July-09, 15:23

And now this from the NYT:

Trump’s Son Met With Russian Lawyer After Being Promised Damaging Information on Clinton
By JO BECKER, MATT APUZZO and ADAM GOLDMANJULY 9, 2017

President Trump’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., was promised damaging information about Hillary Clinton before agreeing to meet with a Kremlin-connected Russian lawyer during the 2016 campaign, according to three advisers to the White House briefed on the meeting and two others with knowledge of it.

The meeting was also attended by his campaign chairman at the time, Paul J. Manafort, and his son-in-law, Jared Kushner. Mr. Manafort and Mr. Kushner only recently disclosed the meeting, though not its content, in confidential government documents described to The New York Times.

The Times reported the existence of the meeting on Saturday. But in subsequent interviews, the advisers and others revealed the motivation behind it.

The meeting — at Trump Tower on June 9, 2016, two weeks after Donald J. Trump clinched the Republican nomination — points to the central question in federal investigations of the Kremlin’s meddling in the presidential election: whether the Trump campaign colluded with the Russians. The accounts of the meeting represent the first public indication that at least some in the campaign were willing to accept Russian help.

And while President Trump has been dogged by revelations of undisclosed meetings between his associates and the Russians, the episode at Trump Tower is the first such confirmed private meeting involving members of his inner circle during the campaign — as well as the first one known to have included his eldest son. It came at an inflection point in the campaign, when Donald Trump Jr., who served as an adviser and a surrogate, was ascendant and Mr. Manafort was consolidating power.

It is unclear whether the Russian lawyer, Natalia Veselnitskaya, actually produced the promised compromising information about Mrs. Clinton. But the people interviewed by The Times about the meeting said the expectation was that she would do so.

In a statement on Sunday, Donald Trump Jr. said he had met with the Russian lawyer at the request of an acquaintance. “After pleasantries were exchanged,” he said, “the woman stated that she had information that individuals connected to Russia were funding the Democratic National Committee and supporting Ms. Clinton. Her statements were vague, ambiguous and made no sense. No details or supporting information was provided or even offered. It quickly became clear that she had no meaningful information.”

He said she then turned the conversation to adoption of Russian children and the Magnitsky Act, an American law that blacklists suspected Russian human rights abusers. The law so enraged President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia that he retaliated by halting American adoptions of Russian children.

“It became clear to me that this was the true agenda all along and that the claims of potentially helpful information were a pretext for the meeting,” Mr. Trump said.

When he was first asked about the meeting on Saturday, he said only that it was primarily about adoptions and mentioned nothing about Mrs. Clinton.

President Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, also attended the meeting last year at Trump Tower. Credit Ruth Fremson/The New York Times
Mark Corallo, a spokesman for the president’s lawyer, said on Sunday that “the president was not aware of and did not attend the meeting.”

Lawyers and spokesmen for Mr. Kushner and Mr. Manafort did not immediately respond to requests for comment. In his statement, Donald Trump Jr. said he asked Mr. Manafort and Mr. Kushner to attend, but did not tell them what the meeting was about.

American intelligence agencies have concluded that Russian hackers and propagandists worked to tip the election toward Donald J. Trump, in part by stealing and then providing to WikiLeaks internal Democratic Party and Clinton campaign emails that were embarrassing to Mrs. Clinton. WikiLeaks began releasing the material on July 22.

A special prosecutor and congressional committees are now investigating the Trump campaign’s possible collusion with the Russians. Mr. Trump has disputed that, but the investigation has cast a shadow over his administration.

Mr. Trump has also equivocated on whether the Russians were solely responsible for the hacking. On Sunday, two days after his first meeting as president with Mr. Putin, Mr. Trump said in a Twitter post: “I strongly pressed President Putin twice about Russian meddling in our election. He vehemently denied it. I’ve already given my opinion.....” He also tweeted that they had “discussed forming an impenetrable Cyber Security unit so that election hacking, & many other negative things, will be guarded...””

On Sunday morning on Fox News, the White House chief of staff, Reince Priebus, described the Trump Tower meeting as a “big nothing burger.”

“Talking about issues of foreign policy, issues related to our place in the world, issues important to the American people is not unusual,” he said.

But Representative Adam B. Schiff of California, the leading Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, one of the panels investigating Russian election interference, said he wanted to question “everyone that was at that meeting.”

“There’s no reason for this Russian government advocate to be meeting with Paul Manafort or with Mr. Kushner or the president’s son if it wasn’t about the campaign and Russia policy,” Mr. Schiff said after the initial Times report.

Ms. Veselnitskaya, the Russian lawyer invited to the Trump Tower meeting, is best known for mounting a multipronged attack against the Magnitsky Act.

The adoption impasse is a frequently used talking point for opponents of the act. Ms. Veselnitskaya’s campaign against the law has also included attempts to discredit the man after whom it was named, Sergei L. Magnitsky, a lawyer and auditor who died in 2009 in mysterious circumstances in a Russian prison after exposing one of the biggest corruption scandals during Mr. Putin’s rule.

The noose tightens, placed their by Trump Jr. himself:

“It became clear to me that this was the true agenda all along and that the claims of potentially helpful information were a pretext for the meeting,” Mr. Trump said.

So Trump Jr., Manafort, and Kushner all showed up expecting to receive damaging information on Hillary Clinton from a Russian lawyer known to be cozy with the Kremlin.

How much longer can the Republicans in Congress pretend not to notice?

#6753 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-July-10, 04:36

From the Romanian State TV archives, a typical day of patriotic chants and odes to the great leader during Ceausescu's dictatorship: https://youtu.be/6fAgtXUrdAw

#6754 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-July-10, 10:32

I had missed this earlier, but it seems as though when the master speaks the monkeys are supposed to bang their cymbals and dance in circles dressed in red hats:

.@stevenmnuchin1: Proposed US-Russia cybersecurity partnership a "very significant accomplishment" for Pres. Trump. http://abcn.ws/2sTTYbs
8:18 AM - 9 Jul 2017

Significant only in the amount of derision produced from his own party. :P

#6755 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-10, 10:36

From Donald Trump’s alarming G20 performance by Lawrence Summers:

Confusing civility with comity is a grave mistake in human or international relations. Yes, the G20 summit did agree on a common communiqué after the leaders’ meeting. Some see this as an achievement or an indication that some normality in international relations between the US and other countries is being restored. The truth is that at no previous G20 meeting did the possibility that there would not be a common statement agreed by all participants occur to anyone.

Rather than seeing agreement as an achievement, it is more accurate to see the content of the communiqué as a confirmation of the breakdown of international order that many have feared since the election of Donald Trump. The president’s behaviour in and around the summit was unsettling to US allies and confirmed the fears of those who believe that his conduct is the greatest threat to American security.

The existence of the G20 as an annual forum arose from a common belief of major nations that there was a global community with common interests in peace, mutual security, prosperity and economic integration and the containment of threats even as there was competition between nations in the security and economic realms. The idea that the US should lead in the development of the international community has been a central tenet of American foreign policy since the end of the second world war.

Since his election, Mr Trump’s rhetoric has rejected the concept of global community, and expressed a strong belief that the US should seek better deals rather than stronger institutions and systems. In the past month and especially after the G20, it has become clear that Mr Trump’s actions will match his rhetoric. The US is now isolated on the question of how to deal with the long run security threat of climate change. It has forced the G20 to back away from previous commitments to rejecting protectionism. And in part because of American attitudes, the G20 was mute on international migration at a time when refugee issues are more serious than at any moment in the past 50 years.

All of this is troubling enough. What many people fear but few are saying is that in the difficult times that come during any term the president’s character will cause him to act dangerously. As biographer Robert Caro has observed, power may or may not corrupt but it always reveals. Mr Trump has yet to experience a period of economic difficulty or any form of international economic crisis. He has not yet had to make a major military decision in time of crisis. Yet his behaviour has been erratic.

The president chose hours before meeting Russian President Vladimir Putin to cast doubt on judgments of the US intelligence community regarding Russia’s interference with the US election. On the brink of the most important set of international meetings of his presidency so far, he put forward the absurd idea that a main discussion item at the G20 involved Hillary Clinton’s campaign manager, making demonstrably false assertions about his role.

It is rare for heads of government to step away from the table during major summits. When it is necessary, their place is normally taken by the foreign minister or another very senior government official. There is no precedent for a head of government’s adult child taking a seat, as was the case when Ivanka Trump took her father’s place at the G20. There is no precedent for good reason. It is insulting to the others present and sends a signal of disempowerment regarding senior officials.

Mr Trump’s pre-summit speech in Poland expressed the sentiment that the primary question of our time was the will of the west to survive. Such a sentiment is inevitably alienating to the vast majority of humanity that does not live in what the president considers to be the west. Manichean rhetoric from presidents is rarely wise. George W Bush’s reference to an “axis of evil” is generally regarded as a serious error not because the nations he referenced were not evil but because his rhetoric drew those adversaries together. Invoking the idea of the west against the rest as the president did is a graver mis-step.

A corporate chief executive whose public behaviour was as erratic as that of Mr Trump would already have been replaced. The standard for democratically elected officials is appropriately different. But one cannot look at the past months and rule out the possibility of even more aberrant behaviour in the future. The president’s cabinet and his political allies in Congress should never forget that the oaths they swore were not to the defence of the president but to the defence of the constitution.

This guy doesn't wait for a crisis to arrive. He is the crisis.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#6756 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-10, 10:39

Winstonm, on 2017-July-09, 15:23, said:

And now this from the NYT:

The noose tightens, placed their by Trump Jr. himself:

So Trump Jr., Manafort, and Kushner all showed up expecting to receive damaging information on Hillary Clinton from a Russian lawyer known to be cozy with the Kremlin.

How much longer can the Republicans in Congress pretend not to notice?

I have a few questions that I feel are fair--not to divert--but they need to be asked.

• The Democratic National Committee (DNC) was hacked in July 2016 and the e-mails that were hacked were released on Wikileaks prior to the November election. Was the release of the DNC e-mails online a national security matter under the jurisdiction of the federal government since it could potentially have a material outcome on a Presidential election?

• IF the hacking of the DNC and the subsequent release of the trove of DNC emails online was a national security matter with the potential to disturb our electoral process, then why did the federal government treat it is a private matter and allow a 3rd party service provider to analyze the DNC's server and conduct all of the forensic investigation of the server?

I want to make the case that now the Department of Homeland Security is saying that communications and information technology infrastructure owned by individual states for voting purposes now falls under its jurisdiction and now DHS can access, examine, and scrutinize these systems without permission. See https://www.dhs.gov/...ucture-critical for additional information.

• How do we know that it was Russian hackers and propagandists who hacked the DNC server? Absolutely NONE of the cybersecurity or forensic work on the hacked server was done by a federal investigation authority. Remember, the FBI, CIA, or NSA didn't examine the DNC's server but relied on the results of Crowdstrike since the DNC would not grant them access to the servers. How does the FBI know that Crowdstrike followed proper evidence handling and investigation protocol? No governmental authority was present while Crowdstrike performed its work. This has practically destroyed the chain of custody for the critical evidence in question.

• Couldn't the FBI have petitioned the Supreme Court for an injunction to get access to the DNC server if the hack was truly a matter of national security which had the potential to affect the outcome of our federal election?

• So we have Crowdstrike, a 3rd party service provider, saying that it was the Russians who hacked the DNC server in July 2016 and we have,

After pleasantries were exchanged,” he said, “the [Russian lawyer] stated that she had information that individuals connected to Russia were funding the Democratic National Committee and supporting Mrs. Clinton. Her statements were vague, ambiguous and made no sense. No details or supporting information was provided or even offered. It quickly became clear that she had no meaningful information.
    I don't know who to believe?

Truth be told, this looks VERY ODD and SUSPICIOUS on the federal government's side AND on Trump's side.

The way our federal government handled this matter made it seem like it was some small scale theft in the beginning. The FBI acted as if it had no legitimate jurisdiction in this "matter" and doesn't appear to go to any great lengths to pursue a matter that could have large national security concerns. So the DNC refused to give the FBI the server for review; the government relies on a private company to do the forensic investigative work on the server. The hacked e-mails are published on Wikileaks and our federal government does nothing substantial to offset the negative impact of this leak. It appears the federal government allows the media and the populace to sort out the details of this information for themselves.

Now that Trump is President, the full measure of the intelligence agencies are being employed and presenting this "matter" as if it a huge collusion conspiracy and national security breach demanding the public's full attention.

I don't give Trump a pass and I am not giving our government a pass either--something is fishy on BOTH sides of this story.

#6757 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-July-10, 10:44

One has to wonder how Trump Jr., Kushner, and Manafort had the gall to meet with a Kremlin-connected Russian lawyer expecting to receive information that would damage Hillary Clinton. To those who do not yet understand the attitudes of Donald Trump, his family, and his inner circle, I would suggest a study of John Gotti and the Gambino crime family. The actions taken may not all match but the basic attitude is the same.

#6758 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-10, 15:05

http://www.burrardst...on-jan-20-2017/

I like this one--the end of the world is coming when Trump starts his presidency on January 20th, 2017.

:lol:

Posted Image

#6759 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-10, 17:15

Larry Summers, Sec'y of the treasury and author of so many financial maneuvers against the common man and for the oligarchs and financial overlords as to defy description? If Trump is going against his desires, viva Trump! Now, where is Ron Rubin when you need him (to save the financial elite, that is....) Might as well resurrect Greenspan while we are at it. TARP II perhaps. It may well be coming based on the market. :(
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#6760 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-10, 17:59

https://www.usatoday...suit/465590001/

Will principle or politics prevail?

• 1074 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

65 User(s) are reading this topic