Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Time To Call It A Day

#1 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-October-01, 22:34

I've been thinking for some months now that it's about time to pass on the baton to new forum members to comment on these pages. I thought about ending my tenure here at the end of this year, or alternatively on my 1000th post, but have decided to retire early.

I miss playing in a club environment, and whilst online bridge offers some consolation to those who cannot play with friends in the real world, to me it just feels too sterile and haphazard to participate. An analogy that springs to mind is surprisingly sunflowers: you can admire Vincent Van Gogh's sunflower paintings, but it is nothing like being in a field of sunflowers on a summer's day :)

I am also getting older - as we all are - and I now feel there are different priorities in my life. Not so much a bucket list, but a few life experiences I have missed out on, mainly with regards to travel, that I hope to fulfil in the next few years, hopefully when the pandemic crisis that we are all living through has receded.

It's been good knowing all of you, and whilst I am a lesser player in terms of experience than others on here, I do read many bridge magazines and books, and sometimes can get what's left of my brain around the complex elements of this game.

I realise there might be a few forum members on here that will say "Please carry on, Felicity" but my mind is already set. This is the last post and the last time I will be logging in on BBO Forums. Goodbye to all and good luck in your lives :)

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-October-01, 22:43

View PostFelicityR, on 2020-October-01, 22:34, said:

I've been thinking for some months now that it's about time to pass on the baton to new forum members to comment on these pages. I thought about ending my tenure here at the end of this year, or alternatively on my 1000th post, but have decided to retire early.

I miss playing in a club environment, and whilst online bridge offers some consolation to those who cannot play with friends in the real world, to me it just feels too sterile and haphazard to participate. An analogy that springs to mind is surprisingly sunflowers: you can admire Vincent Van Gogh's sunflower paintings, but it is nothing like being in a field of sunflowers on a summer's day :)

I am also getting older - as we all are - and I now feel there are different priorities in my life. Not so much a bucket list, but a few life experiences I have missed out on, mainly with regards to travel, that I hope to fulfil in the next few years, hopefully when the pandemic crisis that we are all living through has receded.

It's been good knowing all of you, and whilst I am a lesser player in terms of experience than others on here, I do read many bridge magazines and books, and sometimes can get what's left of my brain around the complex elements of this game.

I realise there might be a few forum members on here that will say "Please carry on, Felicity" but my mind is already set. This is the last post and the last time I will be logging in on BBO Forums. Goodbye to all and good luck in your lives :)

Goodbye and good luck.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-October-02, 02:23

Thank you for your commentary, FelicityR :) Fare thee well :)

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-02, 04:39

I get the feeling you have tired of the forum, which is of course not just about online bridge. But be that as it may I thank you for your consistently sincere and constructive posts here and wish you well in life.

#5 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-02, 08:04

Best of luck, and enjoy your next adventures. The forums will still be here should you choose to return.

#6 User is offline   doccdl 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:YouTube

Posted 2020-October-03, 05:03

Miss/Madam,
Good luck in all your future responsibilities.Bridge is just a pastime.There are many important things and responsibilities to bear in life.Wish you strong health and happiness.

#7 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2020-October-04, 07:55

View Postdoccdl, on 2020-October-03, 05:03, said:

Miss/Madam,
Good luck in all your future responsibilities.Bridge is just a pastime.There are many important things and responsibilities to bear in life.Wish you strong health and happiness.

"Bridge is just a pastime" Au Contraire To many people its more than that(!) Posted Image
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users