BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1078 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#5201 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-March-10, 22:00

mike777, on 2017-March-10, 21:04, said:

Wow so coal companies can legally dump poison waste into waterways....and pay nothing...zero.....nice deal if true.

So just give individuals/companies private property rights in the waterways. They will sue the hell out of the coal companies.

Public waterways are just the modern version of the "commons" problem. Everybody uses/abuses them without having financial responsibility. So give someone some vested interests and they will make the efforts to maintain/improve them. Of course they charge for their use, but you don't get things for free regardless of what the politicians promise.

#5202 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-March-10, 22:14

ldrews, on 2017-March-10, 21:53, said:

So are you saying that all of the environmental regulations have benefits that outweigh their costs to family farms, small businesses, and others.

I have a friend who lost the use of half of his farm he had for years because occasional light flooding of the pastures was declared "wetlands". He couldn't afford the legal costs of suing the Federal Government. So he was out of business. Do you think that is appropriate?

I don't know your case.

However I bought a house 17 years ago. The entrance to the subdivision is called a wetlands.. It means you cannot build anything on it...it is woods, a large area of woods.
I have to be honest....that was a plus in making the decision to buy. The entire area is heavy woods, inside a midsize city....that is a plus. take away the woods and take away me.

strange as it may sound, wetlands may make the acreage in question more rich, much more rich.....

still you make a valid point

#5203 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-10, 22:38

ldrews, on 2017-March-10, 22:00, said:

So just give individuals/companies private property rights in the waterways. They will sue the hell out of the coal companies.

Right, and charge people for legitimate use of the water.

Of course they charge for their use, but you don't get things for free regardless of what the politicians promise.

Do you have evidence for this? In any case, even if they do pay, it would not be anywhere near the cost of cleaning the waterways, even if it could be don.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5204 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2017-March-10, 22:54

vamp...

calling for legitimate use of the water is going down a rat hole.

Hopefully we can all agree regarding London water... London land,,,,it belongs to the natives.. the original people of the Thames/london.....not you...not your loved ones.

At the very least see Rome...not you

:)

-----

now if you prefer a serious/balanced discussion ...fair enough.

This will shock liberal posters but even hard core republicans/conservatives are for clean water and clean air.....ask "passed out" who says he votes republican often, very often

#5205 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2017-March-11, 08:39

barmar, on 2017-March-10, 20:28, said:

Could you explain this? What does it mean to put someone into Medicaid and then bill them? Isn't that a contradiction, since Medicaid is health insurance for people who can't afford to pay for health care?

Medicaid is a network for healthcare. Currently(as I understand it) it is free for all participants. Allow the uninsured to join the network. But these members who do not qualify for free medicaid will be required to pay for services. For the vast majority of uninsured who are healthy this would be a less expensive alternative than buying health insurance.
Healthy San Francisco works in a similar manner. Each member pays according to what that member can afford.

This would allow the republicans time to solve the problem of how to serve the unhealthy poor. Of course I'm convinced there is no easy solution. Someone would need to volunteer to foot the bill.

#5206 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-11, 08:48

cherdano, on 2017-March-10, 16:42, said:

But of course, according to ldrews, Trump cares about nothing more than the best interests of the middle class and his voters. I am sure it will magically turn out to be good for them.

This is like when you were small and playing chess with your father. After a few moves, your father offers to change sides. He turns the board around and plays your pieces, while he play his.

Today Trump's goal is his legacy. Trump hates Obama. Trump wants to be remembered in history as a better president for the American people than Obama.

#5207 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-March-11, 09:19

mike777, on 2017-March-10, 21:00, said:

A fudiciary is a big deal....It means you can come after me....after everything including my house.

Think about it barmar if you make a mistake on bbo....I get to come after all your assets including your house if you are a fiduciary.

At the very least if you sue me...I have to hire a lawyer...and go through the hassle....expensive. while my family worries if they go live on the street.

IANAL, but as far as I can tell, making a mistake is not generally a breach of fiduciary duty. A fiduciary has to make a good faith attempt to act for the benefit of the beneficiary as opposed to themselves.

#5208 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2017-March-11, 09:30

jogs, on 2017-March-11, 08:48, said:

This is like when you were small and playing chess with your father. After a few moves, your father offers to change sides. He turns the board around and plays your pieces, while he play his.

Today Trump's goal is his legacy. Trump hates Obama. Trump wants to be remembered in history as a better president for the American people than Obama.

No none expects me to speak highly of Trump but even I do not claim his that tis is his goal. It is as if I said that my goal in my marriage is to have Becky think of me as better than her previous husband. I mean I hope that she does, but this is not something that I sit around planning for.
I think Trump has many flaws, many of them serious. But I still hope that he actually wants to do something worthwhile for the country.
In my version of 1984 the word "legacy" would be banned from the English language.
Ken

#5209 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-11, 09:35

http://www.cnn.com/2...st-seller-trnd/

No. 1 Amazon bestseller: 266 blank pages on why to vote Democrat

#5210 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2017-March-11, 10:28

jogs, on 2017-March-11, 09:35, said:

http://www.cnn.com/2...st-seller-trnd/

No. 1 Amazon bestseller: 266 blank pages on why to vote Democrat

Great. A book that requires no skill to write and no intelligence to read. Just the thing for the Trump voters on your shopping list. It summarizes Trump thinking on all matters. Kellyanne recommends that you buy this book.

An interesting (?) legal question: There have been many books with titles such as How to .....and with all of the pages blank. So can the author of the first one of these cutsie things sue the others for plagiarism? Only the titles are different, the content, blank pages, is word for word the same from one to another.
Ken

#5211 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-11, 10:33

Fun interview here with Charlie Crist of Florida. Smart guy.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#5212 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-March-11, 13:15

jogs, on 2017-March-11, 08:48, said:

"You can't always get what you want." - Mick Jagger
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#5213 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-March-11, 13:16

At least one study points to Comey as the reason for President Trump.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#5214 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-11, 15:57

ldrews, on 2017-March-10, 18:50, said:

As many as possible, consistent with immediate public safety. I appreciate that agencies have been directed to conduct a benefit/cost analysis on existing regulations. I approve of the Executive Order requiring the removal of two regulations for each new regulation introduced.

You wrote "Regulations are being reduced." This suggests to me that the Trump administrations has already removed some regulations that you don't like. Which are these?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#5215 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2017-March-11, 16:00

ldrews, on 2017-March-10, 17:27, said:

What's not to like?

ldrews thinks it's a great idea to base crucial decisions in the fight against ISIS on the advice of a National Security Advisor who is around the same time getting paid 600,000 $ from the Turkish government. Make Turkish Interests Great Again!
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#5216 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-March-11, 16:34

cherdano, on 2017-March-11, 16:00, said:

ldrews thinks it's a great idea to base crucial decisions in the fight against ISIS on the advice of a National Security Advisor who is around the same time getting paid 600,000 $ from the Turkish government. Make Turkish Interests Great Again!

You do like to put words in my mouth, don't you.

Flynn was obviously not a good choice. He was let go and replaced. Ever watch Trump's reality show, "Apprentice"? His signature statement was: "You're fired!"

It sounds like you lack real world experience in putting together teams.

#5217 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-11, 16:42

Obama is the reason Trump ran for president.

https://www.youtube....h?v=7eJpWOY3r18

#5218 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2017-March-11, 17:17

ldrews, on 2017-March-11, 16:34, said:

You do like to put words in my mouth, don't you.

Flynn was obviously not a good choice. He was let go and replaced. Ever watch Trump's reality show, "Apprentice"? His signature statement was: "You're fired!"

It sounds like you lack real world experience in putting together teams.

I put "What's not to like?" into your mouth??

Meanwhile, which regulations did the Trump administration do away with that you didn't like?

#5219 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2017-March-11, 17:24

Also, ldrews thinks it's a great idea to tell great things about your healthcare plans during the campaign, and after the election, and at the state of the union, then endorse a completely different plan two weeks later.

I guess to Trump fanboys, it's only a lie or betrayal when a non-Trump politician says or does it. Their unwavering admiration for The Leader is so cute and charming.

#5220 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-March-11, 17:53

Winstonm, on 2017-March-11, 13:16, said:

At least one study points to Comey as the reason for President Trump.

No, the real reason Donald Trump is President is a significant part of the American electorate felt ignored and screwed over by the government and its progressive policies. They simply decided that as onerous, unfit, or dangerous (according to you) that Donald Trump would be as President, that he was a better alternative than continuing in the direction the country has been taken in the last 8 years. They manifested that decision by freely voting for Trump, or, some cases by not voting for Trump or progressives.

Until you can come to grips with that, you're just deceiving yourselves.

One of the most liberal CNN analysts said it best on Election Night when he said "Democrats think a whole bunch of boutique causes add up to a majority, well they didn't."

• 1078 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

57 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 57 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook